Monday, January 13, 2014

Tallis for the Chassan

When the wedding season goes into full swing, we'll start seeing a lot of orders and inquiries from brides looking for a tallis for the chassan. Today we received an inquiry from a kallah shopping for a traditional black-striped tallis.
I'm shopping for a tallis as a gift to my fiance for my upcoming wedding. We're modern Orthodox Ashkenazim and prefer traditional, long tallitot. He has a blue tallis already, so I was hoping for some recommendations for him in black.
Thanks in advance!
Sharon 
I had a number of suggestions for Sharon.

Chatanim - basic, no frills tallit; very high quality weave
Hamefoar - features a weave with a bit of texture, supple, luxurious fabric
Tashbetz - box weave to keep the tallit in place better on the shoulders; looks slightly more modern, and in my opinion, a bit less elegant
Kmo Turkish - a heavy, dense fabric and unique double-knotted fringes
 
Sometimes the bride (or her parents) will spring for a nice atara, but in most cases they should consult with the groom to make sure he wants to wear a tallit with a special atara.

No comments:

Post a Comment