Thursday, January 16, 2014

Size 36 Tallit

Tallit sizing is standardized internationally, for the most part, but there's still plenty of room for confusion. If you're looking at the smaller tallit sizes, i.e. 24, 36, 45 and 50, there's an important distinction you need to understand.

Yesterday we received the following inquiry from a prospective tallit buyer:
I am considering my first adult tallit (I'm a recent convert). I stand about 5'9". I find full size traditional a bit large, but not to fussy on the scarf like shawls. Would a 36" fall somewhere in between? Thanks, Thom
I recommended to Thom that he choose either a size 36 or a size 50. Let me explain.

A size 24 tallit and a size 36 tallit are worn with all the tzitzit in front. It covers just the shoulders and upper back, and then wraps around the upper arms and hangs in front.

The larger tallit sizes, i.e. 45 for a 5' bar mitzvah boy, then 50, 55 and 60 for short and medium height men, and finally size 70 and 80 for tall men (and occasionally even a size 90), are all worn with two tzitzit hanging in front and two in back.

In halacha this is considered preferable, however there are two Jewish communities -- German Jews and Yemenite Jews -- that wear the tallit with all the tzitzit hanging in front. Both of these groups adhere very closely to traditional Jewish practice, and I'm not sure how to reconcile this with the halachic preference of two in the front and two in the back.

I'm 5'7" and my size 60 hangs down to mid-thigh on me. A size 50 is 8 inches shorter, so I would estimate it would hang down just below Thom's waist, and shouldn't be cumbersome at all.

More tallit sizing resources:
Tallit Size Wizard
Bar Mitzvah Tallit Sizes

No comments:

Post a Comment